Last week, I mentioned Micotil when I was discussing treatment for bovine respiratory disease (BRD). I wanted to touch on it, even though it’s merely a drop in the bucket of things that are dangerous around the ranch.
Micotil can be fatal to humans. It can be fatal to animals as well if administered improperly, and it is a product that needs to be handled carefully.
A September 2004 High Plains Journal article talks about how a Nebraskan man died after an accidental injection of Micotil. A heifer in an adjacent pen charged and knocked him to the ground on top of the syringe.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has provided a list of safety suggestions when doctoring cattle with Micotil. Included in that list:
- Don’t administer Micotil if cattle can’t be appropriately restrained.
- Don’t work alone when handling or injecting Micotil.
- Never carry a filled syringe in a coat or hip pocket.
- Don’t hold the syringe in your mouth.
- Wear needle-puncture-resistant gloves.
Micotil needs to be injected subcutaneously (under the skin, not directly into the muscle) which places fingers uncomfortably close to the needle. If you are just learning how to administer medicine via a subcutaneous injection method, I would suggest not starting with Micotil.
There are many opportunities for things to go wrong on the ranch. Staying educated on products, reading labels and using a little bit of caution can go a long way in keeping those opportunities to a minimum.